- Direct Known Subclasses:
public abstract class AbstractFloatDistributionextends PersistentObjectimplements FloatFunction, IntFunctionAbstract base class for all random distributions. A subclass of this class need to override method nextFloat() and, in rare cases, also nextInt().
Currently all subclasses use a uniform pseudo-random number generation engine and transform its results to the target distribution. Thus, they expect such a uniform engine upon instance construction.
FloatMersenneTwisteris recommended as uniform pseudo-random number generation engine, since it is very strong and at the same time quick.
makeDefaultGenerator()will conveniently construct and return such a magic thing. You can also, for example, use
DRand, a quicker (but much weaker) uniform random number generation engine. Of course, you can also use other strong uniform random number generation engines.
Ressources on the Web:
- Check the Web version of the CERN Data Analysis Briefbook . This will clarify the definitions of most distributions.
- Also consult the StatSoft Electronic Textbook - the definite web book.
Other useful ressources:
- Another site and yet another site describing the definitions of several distributions.
- You may want to check out a Glossary of Statistical Terms.
- The GNU Scientific Library contains an extensive (but hardly readable) list of definition of distributions.
- Use this Web interface to plot all sort of distributions.
- Even more ressources: Internet glossary of Statistical Terms, a text book, another text book.
- Finally, a good link list Statistics on the Web.